The Advisory Committee on Increasing Competitive Integrated Employment for Individuals with Disabilities (the Committee) submitted its Interim Report to the Secretary of Labor and Congress on September 15, 2015. The report summarizes the progress of the Committee and provides interim findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
Among the preliminary recommendations….
- Increase opportunities for early work experiences for all youth with disabilities, including beginning transition at age 14, and conduct research of effective transition practices resulting in CIE for youth.
- increase nationwide opportunities for postsecondary education for youth with significant disabilities which includes competitive integrated work experiences.
- Address family expectations for CIE at early ages.
- Create seamless transition and systems integration in policy and funding for transition across related federal agencies; and
- Improving professional supports and incentives by improving school and provider competencies and providing technical assistance to states.